In 1733, St George’s Hospital was opened in Lanesborough House at Hyde Park Corner, and the institution has been training medical students since then. Formal registration of apprentice doctors started in 1751.

Lanesborough House had originally been built in 1719 by the 2nd Viscount Lanesborough, in what was then open countryside at the site of Hyde Park Corner. The new St George’s Hospital was arranged on three floors and accommodated 30 patients in two wards, one for men and one for women.