However, by the 1800s the hospital was falling into disrepair. Funds were raised to build a new 350-bed hospital and a competition was held for its design which was won by William Wilkins.

The old Lanesborough House had to be demolished to make way for the new premises; building began in 1827, and the new hospital was completed by 1844.